content='' name='keywords'/> Goal Soccer blog.: Even a Superstar Can’t Be Everywhere
TOP OF PAGE

Friday, July 17, 2009

Even a Superstar Can’t Be Everywhere


David Beckham made his 2009 Major League Soccer debut with the Los Angeles Galaxy on Thursday at Giants Stadium. Two years ago, he made his wildly celebrated debut in the league, but this time there was no carnival atmosphere, no breathless promotion, none of the hysteria of 2007, when Beckham was portrayed as M.L.S.’s savior.

The fervor has subsided, and this much has become clear: Beckham is not soccer’s savior, but rather a Moses figure who may not be playing when soccer reaches its ultimate destination. But he says he is fully committed to the journey.

During a news conference before the Galaxy’s game Thursday against the Red Bulls, Beckham was asked — at times pointedly — about his goals and his commitment to the Galaxy and the league after spending the last six months on loan playing for A.C. Milan. The first question was whether he felt he owed Galaxy ticket holders an apology for missing so many games. He did not think so. “I’m dedicated to the fans,” he said.

Beckham’s words were more important than anything he did in the Galaxy’s 3-1 victory over the woeful Red Bulls, for there was none of the fawning of 2007 but instead tough questions about his commitment to helping soccer in the United States, playing in the World Cup and fulfilling his contractual obligations to the Galaxy and to M.L.S.

In responding to questions about these seemingly conflicting goals, Beckham outlined an ambitious agenda: He wants to represent England in the 2010 World Cup and plans to fulfill his obligations to the Galaxy and carry out his role with M.L.S. as an ambassador. And, he said, he wants to fulfill the larger mission of popularizing soccer in this country.

“I want to be involved in the World Cup, I’ve not hidden that fact,” he said. “Whenever I’m called up for a squad with my country, I will turn up. It doesn’t matter. I’ve always done the same throughout my whole career.”

Beckham said that managers in England had made it clear that the only way for him to make the 2010 English national team was to go on loan again for at least six months and to play at a European level.

On the other hand, Beckham said he intended to fulfill his obligations to the Galaxy and M.L.S. — “being part of this team and being successful with this team.”

“I’m committed to this; I’m committed to Bruce,” he said, referring to the Galaxy and its coach and general manager, Bruce Arena. “I’m committed to the players. I’m committed to the M.L.S. as an ambassador. “

He’s also committed to carrying the banner for soccer in the United States. “We want to carry on growing this game,” he said. “It’s the reason that I wanted to be involved in this. For me it’s about creative visualization, and I visualize that this game will take off and get bigger in years to come. And I want to be part of that.”

That’s noble and ambitious, but it also represents a lot on his plate. Someone asked Beckham, who has missed half of the Galaxy’s M.L.S. games the previous two seasons and the first 17 this year, if he might be spreading himself too thin — with commitments to different teams and public-relations appearances. Had he lost sight of the source of his blessings, soccer?

“My career and my whole life has been about soccer,” he said. “Nothing else. Yeah, I have the advertising and the appearances, but not once in my whole 17-year career have I let anything get in the way. So not once have I stepped out of that zone of my first job as a soccer player. Nothing else.”

Grant Wahl, a writer for Sports Illustrated whose book “The Beckham Experiment” was published this week, asked Beckham how he justified being committed to the Galaxy and to M.L.S. when he is a part-time player this year and whether he will be a part-time player next year as well.

“Let me just clear this up first,” Beckham said tersely. “Is this question for the second unofficial book or your magazine?”

Beckham needs reinforcements. Clearly, the infatuation that was so apparent the last two years has faded. What he did previously was wildly cheered, but Thursday night every move he made was booed.

“It’s to be expected,” he said. “It’s sometimes nice to get the boos, it gives you some inspiration.”

There is speculation that Thierry Henry could be headed to M.L.S. after the 2010 season, although Beckham has pointed out in the last two years that soccer’s battle for the American consumer’s heart is a multilayered long haul and not really about bringing in big names and megastars. Progress is like the game itself: built on endurance and subtleties.

“Like I said the first day I arrived, this is not going to happen over one or two years,” Beckham said. “It’s going to happen over 5, 10 years, and if I’m not playing by the time it takes off and really takes off like we hope it will, and like we know it will, then I’ll still be part of it, because I’m committed to it and I’m committed to the cause.”

Beckham is the prophet, not the savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment